Monday, January 14, 2013

Getting rid of cable was the best thing we ever did!

I grew up with cable and then when I got older my parents switched to satellite. When I had kids I couldn't wait to watch Disney and Nickelodeon with them. Here is the kicker... Cable tv, is expensive. Who can afford to pay $60-$99 a month for TV. You know you don't watch all the channels. Why pay for them all? Well where we live, we don't get a choice of who our cable provider will be. The cable companies have designated areas that their customers come from. Our complex doesn't allow satellite because you would have to drill holes in the walls or something? I dont know. Well, our provider gave us what we thought was a "great deal". And after a year of this great deal, you are obligated to pay full price.. which jacked up the cable bill to over $100. My husband is a former marine and we live on his paycheck from his current job, along with having three young children. I said absolutely not. Called the cable people to come get their box and remotes. Adios cable. That was all well and good for like a week. Then we said lets get the Antenna thing that everyone is talking about, we will get local channels, thats good enough...turns out, its not. I don't want to watch "The View" everyday...or ever. I liked "the talk" but then they kicked my favorite person off and I rebelled by not watching to show them. (I mean seriously, I don't like Julie Chen on that show, its her show and she makes sure you know it... kind of rude in my opinion). Anyways, so we decided to try out Netflix. We already owned a Playstation 3, you got a free trial of it... why not? Then...we were amazed. There are tv shows - WITH NO COMMERCIALS, no waiting a week for the next episode, movies and shows for the kids.... AND they add new stuff every week! What's not to love about that? It costs like $7 a month! WHHAAAATTT!!! Then we said, let's get Hulu, they have more up to date, and its only $8 a month, together that is still cheaper than cable! So we got it! And it's great (I recommend Hulu ONLY for its television shows, its movie selection kinda sucks..). A year or so later my mom got this little box she called a "Roku". You pay for the box, then if you have netflix, hulu, whatever subscription you have, you can pretty much use it on the Roku! You can get one for each room and it is STILL cheaper than paying for cable! The Roku has a bunch of different selections to choose from (box wise) I think ours cost like $70, but it is ours forever and we never have to pay for it again. 
With all this, the only thing we are missing is The Disney Channel. Its a little bummer, but not too bad as there is so much for the kids to watch and I can monitor it. Getting rid of cable was the BEST thing we ever did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment